SpellBound is an augmented reality (AR) platform that delivers 3D experiences via mobile device for the purposes of improving patient engagement and experience.
How It Works
ARISE By SpellBound is downloaded onto the mobile device. ARISE is a free app, but the game is not free. To play ARISE, a player needs a series of special physical wall posters and game mats. The game is played entirely in Augmented Reality, so the main view of the game is seen through the device’s camera. When these game pieces are recognized by the camera, game elements are placed upon them in AR.
These game pieces are modified slightly for each licensed version of the game. In other words, each hospital or client has their own unique set of game pieces. When playing ARISE, the camera recognized these differences and can then tell which license the player is playing under. We use this to record analytics on a license basis,
SpellBound works on tablets and smartphones (both Android and iOS) that have rear-facing cameras and recent operating systems:
- iOS devices, iOS 11.0 and forward
- Android OS 4.4 (KitKat) and forward
SpellBound’s platform is proprietary, built entirely by SpellBound employees with a signed working agreement that assigns all code ownership to SpellBound.
- Heroku servers
- Mixpanel Analytics
- Unity, a programming platform and engine that renders 3D experiences
- Vuforia, a computer-vision software development kit
- SpellBound does not collect personally identifying information from hospitals or patients via the app and therefore does not fall under HIPAA or COPPA compliance
- All communication from the app to the servers is HTTPS.
- The connection to the site is encrypted and authenticated using a strong protocol (TLS 1.2), a strong key exchange (ECDHA_RSA with P-256), and a strong cipher (AES_128_GCM). This meets the current security guidelines for strong encryption.
The SpellBound platform is proprietary and was developed entirely by ALTality Inc. (SpellBound). Patents have been filed to protect our platform, our unique applications, and innovations developed around creation, storage, and delivery of augmented reality content.
List of awarded patents: https://patents.google.com/?assignee=ALTALITY+LLC
Patent Awarded for System and method for delivering progressive augmented reality using a series of related media
Patent Awarded for System and method for delivering augmented reality using scalable frames to pre-existing media